Useful Links

Useful Links

Icknield Primary

Term Time Leave

Headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The law does not give any entitlement to parents/carers to take their child on holiday during term time. Headteachers have the discretion to authorise leave of absence only in exceptional circumstances and it is only for the Headteacher to determine what is truly exceptional.

Education is vital in securing the very best future for children and this is impacted on significantly by prolonged absence. Children only attend school for 190 out of 365 days. There are 175 days a year which parents/carers can use for any activities other than school.

Applications for Leave of Absence Requests must be made in advance.

All requests must be made at least two weeks in advance to the Headteacher by completing the school application form. The form must be fully completed and you will receive a written response confirming if the request will be authorised or not. If leave is granted and you are travelling abroad you will need to supply the school with booking details and confirmation of your return flight.

If you take your child out of school without the school's prior authorisation the absence will be recorded as unauthorised. Where a parent/carer has taken their child on unauthorised leave of absence during term time for 5 consecutive school days or more the Educational Welfare Officer (EWO) may issue a fine and as such each parent/carer will be subject to a Penalty Notice / fine of £60.00.  This fine increases to £120.00 per child per parent/carer if not paid within 21 days from the date that the penalty notice was initially issued.

If  20 days or more of unauthorised absence is taken, your child may be removed from our school roll as a Child Missing from Education (CME) and be referred to the Child Missing from Education team and the Education Welfare Officer (EWO), as guidelines say that a school is able to remove pupils from roll who have 20 days or more of unauthorised absence. You would then need to re-apply for another school place.

Term Time Leave Request Form